Weiler, Roberts, Abrams, Ross, Harper, Balsam, and Berry's Sports and the Law: Text, Cases, and Problems, 6th
eBook - Lifetime digital access to the eBook, with the ability to highlight and take notes.
The sixth edition of this leading casebook explores legal issues in both professional and amateur sports, organized to provide instructors with flexibility to cover selected doctrinal areas or industry sectors. Extended treatment is given to the key subjects of labor, antitrust, intellectual property, and the law of private associations. The casebook also covers the unique office of the league commissioner and its special concerns with the “best interests of sports”; the contract, antitrust, and labor law dimensions of the player-labor market; the role of the player agent in a unionized industry; the economic and legal implications of agreements among league owners and responses to rival leagues; the system of college athletics as governed by the NCAA and subject to Title IX; and the operation of international Olympic sports. Key features include:
- Recent landmark Supreme Court decisions affecting the entire sports industry, including legalizing sports gambling (Murphy v. NCAA) and affirming trademark free speech (Matal v. Tam)
- Updated materials on sports league commissioner disciplinary authority and judicial review of sports league arbitration awards
- Updated materials on the business of sports, with exercises on the business dynamics of sports labor markets and on league decision-making about commercial practices
- Reorganized chapter on agent representation of the athlete, with new coverage of foundational principles of agency law
- Key decisions affecting college athletics, involving antitrust challenges to amateurism (In re NCAA Athletic Grant-in-Aid Cap Antitrust Litigation and Deppe v. NCAA) and penalties for rules infractions (UNC Public Infractions Decision)
- Expanded materials on the function, regulatory apparatus, and activities of the NCAA
- Reorganized chapter on international and Olympic sports, covering recent cases involving doping and hyperandrogenism
- Expanded materials on athlete health and safety, including claims related to concussions and prescription drug abuse.